Pacific Cod is a popular and common seafood choice, because of its firm texture, large flake, mild taste, and relatively low cholesterol and fat content. Found primarily in the coastal North Pacific Ocean, from the Bering Sea to Southern California, Pacific Cod has been fished since the early 19th century. It’s popularity has remained steady over the years, so we’re grateful for effective sustainability practices that have allowed this species of fish to thrive.
The Marine Stewardship Council is an international non-profit organization established to address the problem of unsustainable fishing and safeguard seafood supplies for the future. Their vision is for the world’s oceans to be teeming with life – today, tomorrow and for generations to come. A sustainable seafood market is crucial to making this vision a reality.
They use a blue MSC label and fishery certification program to contribute to the health of the world’s oceans. They want to transform the seafood market by recognizing and rewarding sustainable fishing practices and influencing the choices people make when buying seafood. They work with fisheries and businesses around the world to achieve this mission.
We’re proud to bring you the best price on MSC certified Pacific Cod, this weekend at Tony’s!
Facts about MSC Pacific Cod:
- Stocks are healthy and abundant.
- Fishing mortality does not threaten populations or impede the ecological role of any marine life.
- Minimal by catch.
- The fishery is managed to sustain long-term productivity of all impacted species.
- Impacts on the seafloor are minimized and the ecological and functional roles of seafloor habitats are maintained.
- Fishing activities do not seriously reduce ecosystem services provided by any fished species or result in harmful changes.