We continue to live in unusual times in America and we all find ourselves pivoting almost daily with new challenges continually being thrown our way. In an already price-volatile beef industry made far worse by our governments lack of unity, the COVID-19 crisis, and now large industry hacking such as the JBS ransomware hack this week, customers are concerned about the availability and price of beef.
I’m here to assure you, there’s no need to panic. Tony’s does little to no business with JBS, so we won’t be affected directly, however if they shut down operations even for a few days, the ripple effect can be felt across the industry. More pressure will be put on the rest of the packing plants in America to make up for what JBS would normally produce.
I do NOT expect any major disruptions. JBS and others are cutting edge and will be back into normal production very soon, maybe even by the time this letter gets posted.
Notes from our side of the fence:
- We have a network of high-quality ranchers and packers at Tony’s. We do not rely on only one source so that if one source has a problem anywhere along the chain, we have other quality sources to provide you the same high-quality beef you’re used to purchasing from us.
- We always age our beef so that we have close to 4 weeks inventory. This standard practice keeps our customers in good supply, while any industry issues outside of the Tony’s world get sorted out.
- Business is as usual for Tony’s. While we may experience an item or two temporarily out of stock, it will be minimal and short lived. We’ve helped you feed your families since 1978 and we will continue to do so, whatever it takes.
- Even in tight times, Tony’s will NEVER sacrifice quality.
- We will NEVER buy lower quality for pricing or availability reasons. I would rather talk directly to our customers and tell you, “I am sorry we are out of that particular item,” than bring in an inferior item that doesn’t meet our quality standards.
- We will tighten our belt and do our very best to keep our prices under the current rate of inflation or ride out any unusual ‘temporary’ events that may cause pricing spikes to the best of our ability.
- In short, there is no reason to panic buy or stockpile. Our supplies are in great shape and will continue to be so!
Thank you for being the greatest customers in Colorado. We are incredibly grateful to every single one of you for supporting our small business today, tomorrow, and for many years to come.
Daniel J Rosacci
President & CEO, Tony’s Meats & Market